Hello all,
Welcome to what is probably your first VIRTUAL BOOK CLUB!
The idea to create a virtual book club came from my love of reading and also a bit of boredom after my graduation in 2010. I created followmypagepal.blogspot.com. Unfortunately, because that was sooooooo long ago, I no longer have the email address that I used to create that blog. So here we are at followmypagepal2.blogspot.com.
I want this blog to be exciting and energetic. I want it to be real and heartfelt. I want you to feel comfortable to type exactly how you feel with no worries of offended anyone. I want you to look forward to this blog. I want this blog to motivate you to read more and encourage others to read. I want this to be a place of therapy and release for you. I want this blog to be one of the many highlights of your summer!
If you have not started to read yet, Monday, May 23rd is the official date to begin. We'll read Chapters 1 through 3. On Wednesday, May 25th around noon, on this site, our first discussion question(s) will be posted with the next reading assignment. The second discussion question will be posted Monday, then Wednesday and so on. You can count on having meaningful dialogue each Monday and Wednesday until we complete the book.
But first, let's introduce ourselves!
Please comment below with your first name, where you currently live, your favorite book and what you most enjoy about reading.
Lauren
Baton Rouge, LA
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
What I enjoy most about reading is how it can almost take you to a different world. Reading is truly the reason that I begin traveling. I wanted to go to the places and actually see the things that I read about. Reading taught me how to create a paradise without even having to leave my bedroom.
Welcome to what is probably your first VIRTUAL BOOK CLUB!
The idea to create a virtual book club came from my love of reading and also a bit of boredom after my graduation in 2010. I created followmypagepal.blogspot.com. Unfortunately, because that was sooooooo long ago, I no longer have the email address that I used to create that blog. So here we are at followmypagepal2.blogspot.com.
I want this blog to be exciting and energetic. I want it to be real and heartfelt. I want you to feel comfortable to type exactly how you feel with no worries of offended anyone. I want you to look forward to this blog. I want this blog to motivate you to read more and encourage others to read. I want this to be a place of therapy and release for you. I want this blog to be one of the many highlights of your summer!
If you have not started to read yet, Monday, May 23rd is the official date to begin. We'll read Chapters 1 through 3. On Wednesday, May 25th around noon, on this site, our first discussion question(s) will be posted with the next reading assignment. The second discussion question will be posted Monday, then Wednesday and so on. You can count on having meaningful dialogue each Monday and Wednesday until we complete the book.
But first, let's introduce ourselves!
Please comment below with your first name, where you currently live, your favorite book and what you most enjoy about reading.
Lauren
Baton Rouge, LA
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
What I enjoy most about reading is how it can almost take you to a different world. Reading is truly the reason that I begin traveling. I wanted to go to the places and actually see the things that I read about. Reading taught me how to create a paradise without even having to leave my bedroom.
Vanity
ReplyDeleteBaton Rouge, LA
The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks
What I enjoy most about reading is how lost you can get in a really well written book! The imagery has the power to make you feel as if you are present in each scene. Reading definitely inspires and assists me in my own writing.
Kristen
ReplyDeleteYpsilanti, MI
I can't think of my favorite book smh
What I enjoy most about reading is escaping reality to live vicariously through the lives of various characters. I also believe that reading sharpens the mind and as we all know...knowledge is power!
Andrea
ReplyDeleteHouston, TX
Too many favorite books to name: Roll of Hear My Cry, Sula, and most recently the story of Henrietta Lacks. It combines history and science. There's nothing better than that for me. When I pick up a good book, I become invested in the characters. I yell, laugh and cry with them.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteLaTricia
ReplyDeletePlaquemine, La
The Vow
I love this book because it was written and told by the actual characters in the book. I love romantic books because I am a hopeless romantic. I almost believe in fiaeytales. I love reading because I become the main character and live the life that they live. If the hurt, I hurt. If they love, I love. If they are happy I am happy! I also see it playing like people see movies. I guess you can say ai have a very vivid imagination.
Charnel
ReplyDeleteNew Roads, LA
The Vampire Huntress Series by LA Banks
My first memories of reading for pleasure go back to the 4th grade. My teacher had a library in the back of our classroom and I began to read the Little House on the Prarie series. This is perhaps where my love of a good series comes from, as I never really want a good book to end. Since that time, it's rare that I am without the company of a good book! I enjoy the expansion of my imagination that reading brings, the broadening of my vocabulary and the ability to simply float away and relax as I lose myself within the pages. My grandmother often told me that my eyes were going to go bad from all of that reading. Lol. Turns out she was right, as my opthomologist says that I can't see far away because I've weakened my eye muscles from all of that reading. Who knew?? Looking forward to the journey that I'm sure this book will take each of us on.
Stacey
ReplyDeleteBaton Rouge, La
The Gideon Series by Eric Jerome Dickey (4 books) and I'm IMpatiently awaiting the 5th!
I love reading because I get so enthralled with the characters and I feel like I actually am there with them, going through their ups, downs, conflicts, and resolutions. There is nothing greater than having a drag of a day but the moment you realize a good book is awaiting you, your day just got brighter. Reading is calming for me. I love when a book can make me laugh out loud, cry, or ponder. I would love to get back into reading and being introduced to a variety of books that will expand my current horizon.
Thank you for this, Lauren!
Monique
ReplyDeleteBaton Rouge, LA
I don't believe I have a favorite as I've read so many. I'm an only child by my mother so reading became my ability to experience new things and have interactions that I would normally not get. I was able to escape to wherever the book took me and bask in it as I indulge in the storyline. I love reading books about spiritually but I also LOVE African American fiction as well. I'm excited and looking forward to this!
Vanessa Royal
ReplyDeleteAddis, La
I don't have a favorite! I've never had a bad "read" yet. My fav type of books that I read are inspirational books. I am looking forward to explore other types!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteMichaela Green
DeleteOakland, CA
Hi everyone! I don't have a favorite book, but I do have a favorite series! Harry Potter and the Twilight series will forever be in my top favorites,I love fantasy! While in elementary school I was diagnosed with dyslexia, which made reading and other things very difficult for me. I became very frustrated and the only thing that seemed to take me out of my frustration, ironically was reading. I started the Harry Potter series in middle school and would finish each book in a day or less. Dyslexia hasn't been a problem since!
WOW! Testimony!! 🙏🏾
DeleteRenita Sherrard
ReplyDeleteBaton Rouge, LA
Hello! It is a pleasure meeting everyone. Being a 23 year veteran English teacher, it is very hard to chose a favorite read; however, there are some novels that are my favorites to teach. First, I believe everyone should read TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD by Harper Lee and A RAISIN IN THE SUN by Lorraine Hansberry. Both works deal with injustices African Americans had to endure in history. The best theme portrayed in both is maintaining faith in the face of adversity. Sometimes it is hard for humans to do what is right when majority is doing wrong. The main characters in these novels step out on faith and make morally correct decisions and deal with the sometimes harsh, cruel, and oppressive consequences, thus coming out victorious! Amazingly motivating and captivating! Another great novel is THE HELP by Kathryn Stockett. I love this novel set in 1962 Mississippi during the early civil rights activities about treatment of black maids. It exposes how they were treated and how these maids actually raised their employers’ children, and even taught them how to cook. The characters are intriguing as well as motivating! Of course, my favorite part involves Minnie’s pie! LOL! DREAMS FROM MY FATHER: A Story of Race and Inheritance by President Obama is also a fabulous book. It’s a memoir about how he searches his roots and finds out information on his mother’s family in Hawaii and his father’s family in Kenya. His father was actually a rebel and overcame many afflictions. It was beautiful how his parents met and I found it very interesting that he has siblings who still live in Kenya. I believe everyone should know his/her roots, and this memoir surely is inspirational. It is good to know who you are, not as a hindrance, but as a building block!
I love reading because you can become whoever you want to become, go wherever you want to go. You can virtually get into the mind of someone else and experience what they see, hear and experience. The power of words is amazing! I have to say that I taught Lauren 9th grade honors English and she is still the same, very inquisitive with a thirst for knowledge. Thank you for keeping your love for reading and inviting me to your book club! I am excited!
Pronoun antecedent agreement correction:
DeleteYou can virtually get into the mind of someone else and experience what he/she sees, hears, and experiences. Sorry!
The Help is most definitely in my top 5 favorite novels!
ReplyDelete