Thinking of chapters 4 through 7, which scene was the most pivotal or which scene resonated most with you personally, either positive or negative? Why? How do you think the story would have changed, had that scene not taken place?
What do you think of the structure and the style of the author's writing?
Answer any or all of these questions. Take your time. No need to answer them all at once. To draw us into the book more and for a better understanding, use quotes from the book to support your answers. Most of all, REPLY to other readers. Let's interact with each other as much as we can virtually.
Please read chapters 8 and 9 for this Wednesday's discussion.
What do you think of the structure and the style of the author's writing?
Answer any or all of these questions. Take your time. No need to answer them all at once. To draw us into the book more and for a better understanding, use quotes from the book to support your answers. Most of all, REPLY to other readers. Let's interact with each other as much as we can virtually.
Please read chapters 8 and 9 for this Wednesday's discussion.
The scene at the store when Ephram stopped for needle, thread, etc... He was trying to leave but heard one of the guys speak about having sex with an unnamed female. I assume he knew it was Ruby they spoke of. I believe it diminished his manhood being that he's inexperienced with sex. He lost his courage to go and see Ruby. The crazy thing is that it appears Ruby was awaiting an arrival and was disappointed. It resonated with me because you should never allow the doings of someone else to deter your effort. You just never know the outcome unless you try. Ephram ended up at the Lake instead of Ruby's house... I wonder if it'd been different had the convo not took place. 🤔
ReplyDeleteThis scene also stuck out to me too. I was soooo disappointed in Ephram. I just knew he was going to make it to Ruby.
DeleteThis scene also made me feel that the men who sit outside the store are a bit jealous of Ephram. Even though he doesn't have much, I think it's something about Ephram that these men may envy. I can't put my finger on it yet though.
The scene that resonated the most with me is the very last paragraph of the chapter. "She had, over the years, released them one by one, night after night, her body twisting with pain. Ruby looked at the tiny graves dotting the hill. She had often thought of the small mounds at Ma Tante's and wondered if the old woman had buried souls there as well. It was time. Ruby screamed with each contraction that ripped through her. Howled and saw a pillow smothering the child as she slept. She wailed and whipped the tall trees around her."
ReplyDeleteThe symbolism in those few lines seems to be multifaceted. It can easily be symbolic of birth being the new beginning, as if Ruby must give birth each night to have a new beginning each day.
Birth can also be symbolic of purging. I wonder if Ruby is purging the many things that have happened to her, the rapes, the abandonment, etc. Has she lost babies? In her insanity has she killed babies that now haunt her? Has she given babies away and now mourns them in the complex purging of what is deep within her?
Or is there no symbolism? Is she truly a conduit for lost spirits who need the be reborn to find peace and safety.
Is it all of the above?? I sense that this will be a major piece in the rest of the story. That this process of rebirth and pain is representative of something much deeper than I am able to grasp from what I've read thus far.
The part that resonated with me was the spirits taking up residence in Ruby. It's like how many times do our compassion for others cause us to take on their issues. We become some overwhelmed with their situation or circumstance that we will take on either trying to solve it, or put ourselves in their place and feel what they feel.
ReplyDeleteYou better preach on here today Ms. Vanessa!
DeleteHow can we stop or limit ourselves from doing that though?
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteWe just have to guard ourselves in taking it on. God can handle and help better than we can!
DeleteI also think about soul ties... Ruby has many soul ties
ReplyDeleteOooooh. I never thought about that one. Poor Ruby. Throughout reading all I've ever felt for her is pity. I hope that changes.
DeleteSoul ties yep I see that! Pray Ruby gets some relief. She carrying some stuff!!!!
DeleteThe scene that I felt was most pivotal was Pete's telling of the story of what happened to Neva Bell and the other Bell sisters. This story had me and the characters both captivated. it served as a good window into the ways of the town and how ruby ended up the way she is. the KKK, the white man falling for a black woman and then not doing a thing in the end to save her, the deep love papa bell had for his daughters were all parts of the story that pretty much set an even deeper tone for the rest of the book and it also set up a new outlook on ruby. the men that had just bad mouthed her suddenly viewed her as a person. this scene shows how we quickly judge people without knowing where the struggles they've had to endure and the places they've come from.
ReplyDeleteTaylar. That scene has been my favorite in this book! It was really a story within a story. That narrative was absolutely amazing!
DeleteI really wish this entire novel was written that way.