RUBY [Chapters 13 - 14]

Celia copes with tragedy by putting her world in strict order, from her family life to church life. But Ruby becomes lost to disorder.  What accounts for their different approaches to emotional pain?  What is YOUR approach to emotional pain?

What roles does Christianity play in Liberty?  Does faith enhance or hinder Celia and her congregation in their attempts to heal Ruby?

Answer any or all of these questions.  Take your time.  No need to answer them all at once.  To draw us into the book more and for a better understanding, use quotes from the book to support your answers.  Most of all, REPLY to other readers.  Let's interact with each other as much as we can virtually.

Please read chapters 15 through 17 for Monday's discussion.

Comments

  1. I believe The difference maker for how Celia and Ruby handle emotional pain is their surroundings. Celia had the Christian upbringing while Ruby was in the darkness of the world. There was order in Celia's life and disorder in Ruby. Handling emotional pain for me is to retreat to isolation until pain is lessoned.

    Christianity role in Liberty is whatever the major players say. It is not based on God's Word. God is love and is compassionate. Going after Ruby like they did was not God. Them religious folks at it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right Ms. Vanessa. Though we question Celia's sincerity, she was still brought up in the church and seems to know the word. A woman of her faith would be much less likely to deal with trauma as Ruby does. Great point!!!

      Delete
  2. I personally deal with emotional pain in a couple of ways. Gospel music soothes my soul. Sometimes I think the song order on Pandora is divinely ordered. I'm also an emotional eater, but it's not merely reserved for distressful emotions, it's for happy ones too. Or maybe I just like to eat!🤔

    Religion in Liberty is brandished and manipluted to fit the needs and desires of individuals and/or groups. As a result, this pseudo-faith where bits and pieces of the bible are used won't benefit Ruby or help her. It's not coming from a genuine place, because if it was it wouldn't have taken 11 years to help her. Due to the life that Ruby has lived I believe she can sense the insincerity and lack of a true Christian spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm an emotional eater too! When I'm upset, I will actually verbalize, "I need COMFORT food." I also shut down. Like completely and totally, not letting anyone in but my mom. =(

      Delete
    2. I've said those same words!! "I need comfort food". Lol.

      Delete
    3. I think Celia and Ruby handle things differently because of their upbringing. Celia was raised by a pastor therefore she mostly resorts to the bible as a coping mechanism. Ruby on the other hand didn't have any parental guidance and was deprived of her childhood. No one taught or helped her through any of the emotional and physical trauma that she experienced.
      I'm the person that completely shuts down when I experience emotional pain. I don't want to talk or be around anyone. I need time to process things then and only then will I open up.
      I've noticed a lot of Christianity hypocrisy in Liberty. The women church goers seem snooty and the men are as cruel as they come. All of them are judgmental!
      In my opinion, faith hinders Celia and her congregation from helping Ruby. If everyone would stop rehashing everything that they've heard or seen her do and leave Ruby's past in the past, I think it would be easier for others to accept and help her.

      Delete
  3. I think that their life's journey affects their coping ability. Celia set out to be known in the church so naturally her adjustment would come by way of religion. Ruby was damaged very early on. She developed defense mechanisms that are purely characteristic of a child. She removed herself into fantasy. She disappeared into her surroundings (the forest for example). It's almost like guided imagery. Personally, I pray. I guess I'm more akin to Celia in that way.

    I don't view Liberty as Christianity but more so religious. It definitely hindered their quest for Ruby! Instead of LOVING her back in, they threw beliefs at her. We, as christians, do that more often than we realize. We judge silently in the name of God.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment