RUBY [Chapters 15 - 17]

At the heart of the novel is Ruby's vision of her children, and her vision of herself as a mother.  How is she able to respond to with a nurturing urge although no one nurtured her?

Aside from being a mother, how else do you believe Ruby views herself?

How does your understanding of the Dybou shift throughout reading the novel?

Answer any or all of these questions.  Take your time.  No need to answer them all at once.  To draw us into the book more and for a better understanding, use quotes from the book to support your answers.  Most of all, REPLY to other readers.  Let's interact with each other as much as we can virtually.

Please read chapters 18 - 20 for Thursday's discussion.

Comments

  1. I think that Ruby is able to respond as a nurturer because maternal instinct is often times innate. In addition I think that sometimes as adults we find ourselves having the desire to give our children what we felt we lacked in our own childhoods. Perhaps for Ruby it's a combination of what comes naturally and the desire to fill what was missing in her childhood. I also think it's a reclaiming of her power. It's something that she has control over and can make an active choice about, as she hasn't even had a choice in what happens to her own body.

    I think Ruby sees herself as a woman who only has worth in her sexuality. However, her interactions with Ephram seem to begin to change that view. As it changes, it makes Ruby quite uncomfortable because she doesn't know quite what to do with these new feelings.

    The Dybou now seems to be an offshoot of some type of demonic/witchcraft rituals that were seemingly introduced by Ephram's father. It reminds me of how many of the voodoo priestess also practiced catholicism by using Catholic concepts/figurines of Mary, Joseph, Saints etc., as a manner of worshiping voodoo entities without persecution or judgement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This novel has so many different elements!

      When Ruby ran a kissed Ephram in front of the onlookers, I really could have fell out of my seat. lol

      Then when I found out Ephram's father was a voodoo priest, it really made me ANGRY! To think of all the people (wife, children and congregation) is quite disgusting. Doing what he did to Ruby was probably nothing for him, considering what he did to his own wife. Knowing what I know about Celia's father, really makes me look at her different too. Especially, since the author made it point to say "she was her father's child" when telling the mom's story.

      Delete
    2. It's truly getting quite deep. No one is really who they seem to be and the majority of them are so busy trying to distract everyone from their own skeletons that they're constantly pointing out everybody else's!

      Delete
    3. Yes when Ruby kissed Ephram I reread it just to make sure that was what I read! But then I realize that true love breaks down walls. She really couldn't help but to kiss Ephram. It was a natural response to what her eyes had been showing her and what her heart was feeling.

      Delete
  2. I believe Ruby is able to respond as a nurturer because just doing the opposite of what was not done for her she felt would make a difference. The love and compassion she gives was not a part of her early years.

    I believe Ruby viewed herself as an evil person. She separated herself from everybody. She lived as a defeated person without hope. Ruby had so much against her but the love that Ephram has for her is so strong. Strong enough to make a hopeless situation hopeful. His love is unconditional like Gods love for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruby used the harboring of the spirits as a means of redemption. She had no one. They were all she had so she took care of them so they wouldn't leave her. I think as a woman, you're usually able to be nurturing regardless of if you've birthed a child or not. It's usually innate. It's apparent that she views herself very lowly. She identifies with what everyone else views her as versus what she sees herself as. That's very dangerous to do. The dybou seems to be specific to her. Something that is hunting her since a child. She finds no peace. It's crazy because it seems possessive of her. Very interesting to say the least.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment