RUBY [Chapters 8 - 9]

What exactly do you understand the Dybou to be?

What was your reaction to the first words spoken between Ephram and Ruby in their adult life? (end of Chapter 8).

Using the link provided below, what themes would you use to describe Chapter 8? Chapter 9? Why?

Themes List

Answer any or all of these questions.  Take your time.  No need to answer them all at once.  To draw us into the book more and for a better understanding, use quotes from the book to support your answers.  Most of all, REPLY to other readers.  Let's interact with each other as much as we can virtually. 

Please read Chapters 10 through 12 from Monday's discussion.


Comments

  1. Dybou is a ghost that is attached to Ruby. It appears to keep watch over Ruby and those that come near her.

    The first words spoken were of compassion. Ruby showed care and concern for Ephram something that she hadn't shown before. She was almost treating him as a child even admonishing him to stop letting women beat up on him.

    Theme of Chapter 8 could be prejudice. Ruby had always shown a side of not caring about anyone but herself. However in this chapter she expressed a different side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand the Dybou to be a ghost or some type of wicked spirit that haunts Ruby. I tried to find the exact translation of Dybou but was unsuccessful.

    I think that the theme for chapter 8 could be Love and for chapter 9 Good vs Evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to look up "Dyboú" and couldn't find anything either. 😩

      Delete
  3. Dybou is a spirit. My best guest is evil. Incubus seemingly because it's attached to sex. It's possessive and threatened by anyone entering her life. Sexual immortality from past sins. All consuming.
    The theme I believe befitting to both chapters is change. Chapter 8 because of Ephram actually going to see Ruby and Chapter 9 because of her return to Liberty and Maggie's death

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand the Dybou to be a spirit, more than likely an evil spirit that's attached to Ruby.

    Ruby and Ephram's first conversation struck me as them picking up right where they left off all those years ago. It was as if all the years in between did not matter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment